Tuesday, November 23, 2010

An Overslumpification

It happens to the best of us: I've hit a writing slump.

I just finished the third revision of "An Angel's Apprenticeship", and the review copies are on their way to the author. I still plan to do a Lulu version, but I can't get started on that until the author is happy with the manuscript.

I finished the pre-edits and other paperwork for "You Don't Have to Cook in the Clink".

I'm still waiting to hear back from Tor.

So now what?

I had begun a new novel, tentatively called, "The Girl in the Gorilla Suit", but after re-reading what I'd done so far, I decided to scrap the whole thing and start from scratch. The plot's great, the story is fun...the writing sucked.

So I started a short story...but the writing wasn't flowing, the pacing was wrong, and I wasn't sure exactly what I was trying to say with the piece. I need to refocus, do some serious editing, and see where it goes from there. But right now, I have to take a break from that story. I'm frustrated with it, and for me, frustration is the death of creativity.

I've looked into a new genre, plotted a story or two, done some reading...

What do you guys do to get over a writing slump?

No comments:

Post a Comment