Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Partial Hits a Snag

So I got a partial request from a fantastic agent--YAY!!

Only one problem. She requested that I send her the pages, double spaced, in the body of an e-mail. No attachments.

I went to my word processing program and double spaced the pages. Then I copied them...but when I pasted them into gmail, gmail automatically reformatted them to be single spaced. I tried several methods, all with the same result.

Finally, I tried hotmail. Hotmail didn't reformat the pages, and I sent out the query exactly as the agent had requested. I hit send before thinking things through.

Now I'm seriously worried.

On the agency website, there is a warning that unsolicited e-mails sent directly to any of the agents will be deleted without being read. One very convenient way of handling this would be to trash any e-mail that came from an unapproved account...and the agent only had my gmail account, not my hotmail. I made sure to put the name of the book and "Requested Pages" in the subject line, but believe it or not, some writers are stupid enough to put "Requested Pages" in their subject lines just to get attention. I really hope my message didn't get auto-trashed or ignored because it came from an unauthorized account.

Sad thing is, sending a second e-mail to check up on the first isn't a very professional thing to do. Ideally, I would have sent one from my gmail account first, explained the problem, and let the agent know to expect a message from my hotmail account. Now that it's been over 24 hours since the hotmail e-mail was sent, that's not an option anymore.

My current plan is to wait two weeks or so and then send a message from my gmail explaining the problem and making sure the partial was received. I can only hope I don't come across as pushy or hopelessly clueless.

Bleh. It's a good thing there are lots of agents out there--lots of chances to get things right! But I don't want just any agent, I want a great agent, and they don't come much better than the one I stand to lose if I screw this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment