Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The First Two Betas Respond...

The last couple of days, I've been waiting. There's no more tweaking to do on the query, and I don't want to edit before hearing back from my Betas. I'm kicking around story ideas, even typing up little bits of outline, but mostly, I've just been here. Waiting.

Now I've heard back from two of my three Betas. The news is good: they each made some great recommendations, and the necessary edits will take me one day, two tops, if I get right on it. That means I could start querying as early as Friday or Saturday, and start hearing replies a day or two after that...assuming I get my butt in gear and do some serious research on agents.

It's not that I haven't studied agents before. But agents change their requirements, they look for different genres and they sometimes ask that no one query them. Sometimes agents close up the shop--other times, new ones open up. Occasionally, they'll blog or twitter or do an interview in which they say, "I'd really love to see this kind of work right now..."

So I research before I query. Every. Single. Time.

Next time, I'll talk about how. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment